Sunday, November 27, 2011

Kamiko-tan

We have a new addition to our little jungle family. She is a stray jungle kitty and her name is Kamiko.

Here is her story....

I chased Kamiko all over campus this summer but could never get close enough to pet her. She was very shy and spent most of her time in the bush. One day she came close to our house. I quickly went to the fridge and found some bread. I made a trail of bread crumbs to our door and to my surprise she fell for it! When Kamiko first came to our house she was so skinny and had patches of missing fur. She also had a gigantic tick on her neck.

Over the course of a couple weeks she began to trust us (or at least trust that we would feed her several time a day). With gloves and tweezers we removed her tick. That was perhaps the most disgusting thing I've ever done. A few days after that I gave her a bath in our little rain collection bucket. She was amazingly cooperative and I'm pretty sure she is the first cat in Belize to ever smell like lavender.

Now Kamiko is fluffly and healthy. She sleeps on our front step and occasionally snuggles with Danny in the hammock. She will never replace Rupee cat back at home, but we love her very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment