Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bridge to Service

Sorry for not posting for so long!!!

Danny and I found out that we will be living in Blue Creek Village in the Toledo district of Belize. It is a rural..and I do mean RURAL.. village. There are about 500 people in Blue Creek, the village itself is beautiful. I could never come close to describing the way it feels to take a shower outside and look up to see the stars shining bright. Nor can I explain the the way the mountains look in the morning as the fog lifts off the palm trees. We are very blessed.

We will both work at the Tumil Kin Center for Learning. Tumil Kin is a school that teaches kids Maya values in addition to traditional curriculum. I will support their board of directors, council of elders, and PTA. Danny will work with the Food Processing Unit to help them develop business skills.

One major transition for me is living 45 minutes away from a market or grocery store. We also live without refrigeration. It forces me to think in advance and plan ahead. Back in the states I never really thought ahead about my food and kind of lived day to day. I hope this transition will help me learn better planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment